SO, since I'm here to actually learn how to draw, I'm curious about how everyone else learned to draw.  Was it a gift you were just born with? Do you practice? Do you stick with one particular area of expertise? Do you think it's better to try to mimic a photo or something, or just freehand stuff, as far as practicing goes?

First off- hey, welcome to the site! And for how I learned to draw... I guess i've done all the things you've listed. My dad liked to draw, so I guess I kind of got that from him, I practice a LOT, and I mostly stick with manga (though I draw some animals, flowers, realistic people and such).

I mimic photos sometimes, but I usually change the pose or some features if I can help it. But mostly I go freehand, looking at some reference images if I need to.

I learned starting by mimicing my oldest friend (since I was 4, but haven't seen him since I was 11) style. Later on, I started drawing my own style. I got better and better at it. You see the final results in my drawings and tutorials. I do draw way better with a pencil instead of a mouse, even though I practice with the mouse more than pencil.

Welcome to Drawingnow!

For your question.I was bad as before, drawing was not my talent in the first place, but when I saw people drwing, I just sudden love the color and I felt cool about what I could  do with pencil.After 4 years practice, I got better and that's how I went and art had become my talent.So the point is you don't need to be gifted when you were born to be an art lover, an artist, it's how you find out your passion, your love with art.That's how I think and after that, when I got used to drawing on paper I drew on computer, started with Ms paint.Good luck and have fun while practice to draw

Welcome to Drawingnow!

For your question.I was bad as before, drawing was not my talent in the first place, but when I saw people drwing, I just sudden love the color and I felt cool about what I could  do with pencil.After 4 years practice, I got better and that's how I went and art had become my talent.So the point is you don't need to be gifted when you were born to be an art lover, an artist, it's how you find out your passion, your love with art.That's how I think and after that, when I got used to drawing on paper I drew on computer, started with Ms paint.Good luck and have fun while practice to draw

Welcome to Drawingnow!

WElcomne to this web!

tHE WAY I STARTED TO DRAW STUFF WAS BY THE INSPIRATION OF THE ANIME dRAGONBALLZ AND NARUTO SO I STARTED TO DRAW THEM AND IT WAS AN EPIC FAILIER THEN I STARTED TO DRAW EVEN MORE LEARNING FROM MY MISTAKES TO CREATE A VERY GOOD PIECE OF DRAWING ON PAPER OFCOURSE I AM BETTER WITH PENCIL THAN MOUSE BUT I'M STARTING TO GET THE HANG OF USING THE MOUSE NOW

Thanks everyone!  So basically you all just sat down and DID it. And if you didn't like it, you tried again until you felt more confident in your work.  I guess it's just like learning anything else, huh? I just always felt like you had to either be able to draw or not.... it's not something you can learn!

Practice makes perfect, Dear.

even though nothing is perfect?  so why try?

you gotta have the 3 P's is u wanna be an artist once more,

Passion for what you do, if there is no passion in what you are doing you might as well not try it.

Practice what you do, like the other guy said practice makes perfect, you'll never be perfect, but you can be as good as u can in your own style, since are constantly chaning u know.

Patience in what you do, to tell you the truth practicing drawing can be a pain in the butt, u just wanna go ahead and draw people and stuff, but that aint the way the story goes, master the basics practice and have fun, also try different materials if u r doing traditional art, if u stick with one u'll get good with it, but then u'll lose interest.

Welcome to DrawingNow!! I hope you enjoy here. I've been drawing since I was 3-4. I forgot how I learned how I drew, but I think I taught myself. When I was that age, I've been drawing shaped heads (circle, square, and triangle heads), but they have no body. They are blue, and it was this color, and they have only red eyes and mouth. Then later I've been drawing random cartoon people that always had their arms up, because I don't really know how to keep their arms down. But then I did later. Then when I was 6, I liked to draw in the 1st grade public school and home all the time. And there were drawings sticked on the hall way wall almost all over the place by me. Then I started to draw myself (with short hair instead of long) with red dress and with my brothers with false ages. Their ages were close to me instead of two years older and younger. I stopped drawing them when I was 8, and I just started to draw some random girls a lot. When I was 10, I learned how to draw anime. From my cousin's letter, I saw a drawing created by her friend before I received it, and it was anime style. I was extremely impressed that I wanted to learn how to draw anime. Later, I made my first anime drawing, and it was copied by this tutorial on YouTube. I drew it before I had a YouTube account. Then I printed it out, hang it on the wall in my bedroom, before it was gone now. It was extremely annoying because I wanted to see my own first drawing again, but I kept that to myself. I could have just keep the drawing for a very long time. Then for now I've been drawing only anime, and I've been drawing them for two years now. But they're mostly just anime girls, because they look better than anime boys in my opinion. I remembered the old times what I've been drawing for a very long time ago.