Okay, first of all, i'm not an expert so if you don't agree then just don't follow the tips.

First thing I do when making a new creature is 1. Find a base for it- such as will it be bird-like, cat-like, fish-like... This just lets me decide basics about the creature such as, does it fly or swim?

2. From there I wonder where it lives. This helps more than you'd first think, in some cases. If your creature lives on a mountain then you don't have to look at just mountain species... look at people who climb mountains, what do they use?

By this time you should have a list of traits for your animal, so it's time to put them together. For this example we'll say we have a snowy mountain creature with a sheep-like body, only its front two feet are sharp hooks more closely related to a sloth/praying mantis combo than to a sheep. It also flies. It eats both plants and other animals, and can drink icy water, or even eat snow without getting a stomach ache.

Good, got a creature! Now... (teak your creature) lets say it has thick eyelashes to protect it's eyes during snowstorms- just like camels in sandstorms. Its wings can be folded close to its body and have a layer of down feathers, so it stores up even more body heat, and it's front limbs are jointed more like an orangutan. As for flying, it needs steering! Sheep are not aerodynamic so lets give it a fan-like tail to counter that short neck.

These are just little details you come up with by thinking about your creature moving around its environment. Now think about what your creature is. Is it just an animal, or a monster put there to guard something? This question just allows you to delve deeper into the creature. Are there more? Is there a sharp distinction between males and females? What do the babies look like?

Anyway, by the time you get that done you should be able to picture your creature walking around and living. This way you have a creature that makes sense to the people who look at it. That's it for now ^_^

Accept everyone for their race, beliefs, gender, and age. If you have time to judge others, you're not looking closely enough at yourself.
Awesome tutorial! Nice tips and very helpful! Thank you! =3
You're welcome! ^_^ Glad it helped and thanks for reading and leaving a nice comment.
Accept everyone for their race, beliefs, gender, and age. If you have time to judge others, you're not looking closely enough at yourself.
Very nice. I'm going to have to keep coming back to this thread, i'm in the works on alot of things right now.
Quote:
Originally posted by: Master_Speed
Very nice. I'm going to have to keep coming back to this thread, i'm in the works on alot of things right now.

I'll aways try to help. I spent a lot of time during school trying to do stuff like make creatures and stuff, and i had a teacher who loved it and he was very into, "okay you made it... but can it really live?" And if i made a castle it'd be 'so where is the castle? What defenses would it need? Does it house people inside or is there a village around it?" Ya know, that whole thing.

So I'll always help when I can.

thats a helpful tip, thx

ill start using that now :D

thanks,that help me a lot

I'm very happy that this is helping people. ^_^

Thank you soo much! This helped me out a lot. Smile

thnx for the tips :D

Thanks! This helped me really much!

Excellent tips there and a few that make sense, creatures are ace to draw when you do lots of draft sketching and try to work hard but have fun drawing or else there's no point!

I'm trying to get some drawing books that will be tutorials out of the way and drawing monsters and creatures is one of them.